Everyone thinks at least once about leather jacket life either before buying or after. The leather is no doubt a great natural material to use as apparel for safety from cold and also for a fashion purpose. A good jacket can last up to several years.
If your jacket is not able to use further, then there is a possibility of the presence of faux, maybe you have been deceived by the seller. Artificial material has a shorter life, and it becomes worst after some time or on more usage, on the other hand, real leather jackets become better and durable as the time passes.
There are multiple factors that can affect the lifespan of the jacket.
- Animal hide / Type
- Quality of leather
1. Animal Hides:
If you’re willing to buy a leather jacket then before going to purchase just check which animal hide is used to make it. It’s an easy process, just check the label or confirms from the salesman and if you are buying online then check the description of the product plus specifications to ensure you’re getting the right product.
- Cowhide is the thicker, heavier and durable for the leather products
- Goathide also very good material to make jackets.
- Sheep or lambskin, they are lightest and softest hides.
2. Quality of leather
There are many types of leather quality that are used in making jackets.
- Bonded leather– It is a 4th-grade quality and made from scrap pieces of rawhide and cutoffs that’s why they will degrade easily.
- Genuine leather – It is a 3rd-grade quality. It can get scratches and cracks easily.
- Top grain –It is a 2nd-grade quality it is better than genuine but works until finishing remains.
- Full-grain – it is of superb quality. It can last up to decades if you care it well.
The important reason is how much you used your jacket. If you’re a busy man and use your jacket too much, then you should go for ultra high-quality jackets because they can last longer. Low-quality jackets can easily get cracked and fade early if you are a little bit careless. Check this!
If you are a careless person then your jacket will be in trouble because the leather jacket is sensitive apparel and needs too much care. Try to focus on your jacket, maintain it properly by cleaning it regularly with a lightly damp cloth and avoid it from getting wet completely. Stay away from sharp edgy materials that can cause a scratch or tear the jacket.
- Clean it properly from both outside and inside.
- Keep in the open air for 6-8 hours to remove the smell.
- Fold your jacket properly.
- Use breathable cotton bags to store the jacket and never use a plastic bag to store leather stuff.
- Keep in low humidity place because leather has the ability to absorb moisture which can harm the jacket if you leave it for a long time.
- Check the jacket with an interval of time such as once in a month to ensure it is alright.
How to Increase the lifespan of Jacket
Now, the most important thing about the genuine leather jackets is how to increase its life to use it for a long time.
- Clean it when needed.
- Avoid to place in sunlight for a long time, furthermore, stay away from fire and sharp metallic objects.
- Use leather oil on its surface to avoid cracks.
- Conditioners, creams, and polish are also available to give the jacket a more awesome new look.
- Protector Sprays, water-proof sprays make the jacket surface stronger including prevent it from fading and degrading.
- Hang it in the wooden hanger to maintain its shape and quality.
- Wash the jacket at least once in a 4-6 month.
These are all the factors and methods which you can adapt to make your jacket stronger, increase its lifespan at your home. You should know the difference in real and synthetic leather to save yourself from wasting your precious money on the fake jacket.
In short, first you need a real leather product it doesn’t matter short leather jacket or long leather jacket, second, you should use it wisely also take care of it. Third, maintain it by cleaning, using conditioners, polish, and oil, etc. Wear it when you want to enjoy the different styles of jacket.
I hope you like this guide and you are now clear about the lifespan of the jacket. Kindly share it with your fashion-loving friends to help them to know about the jackets life.